Friday, August 6, 2010

Stir What'cha Got!

"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness."
- Seneca

First things first.

Last semester, I was doing this for my own benefit, and also for a class project, and thus I was on a deadline.
I want to have a wonderfully insightful blog every day, but I don't know if that is:

A) Humanly Possible
B) Time Strain Compliant, or
C) Expecting Too Much

Thus, I will post a blog entry when I actually have something insightful to share.
How about that?
What do you guys think?

Okay, now for the good stuff:

My family and I are currently on vacation in the beautiful state of California.
Aside from grievously missing my cats, I am having a fabulous time.

We stopped at a Panera Bread Co. for a quick lunch while on the road, and could not resist the temptation to buy a baker's dozen of the bagels.
We had already bought a pumpkin muffin and one of the cobblestone things, and thus could not finish eating them.
When we were cleaning up our table, a rather raggedy looking man sat down in the booth joined to ours.
He was on the borderline of homeless looking - he was either a well dressed hobo, or a very disheveled member of working society.
I didn't want to offend him by asking him if we could provide some food for him - an alternate future of being hit in the face with a grubby hand flashed before me, and I decided against it.
But I still felt like I should help him...just in case.
Thus, I packaged up our leftover baked goods, and left them there, temptingly close to his table.
That way, he could choose to take them without being embarrassed, seeing that we had left them there, or if he was indeed not homeless, think we are just irresponsible tourists.

I will never know if we provided the gateway between starvation and survival for that man, but I do know that I did what I could.
In the words of Pastor David Asscherick, I "stirred what I got".

I guess that's what is most important.
Not planning some elaborate showcase of goodwill.
But just working with what we have, to do the most we can.

"Real generosity is doing something nice for someone, not depending on knowing the outcome."
- Frank A. Clark
"

No comments:

Post a Comment