Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Just Do It Already!



"So roll up your sleeves, put your mind in gear ... let yourself be pulled into a way of life shaped by God's life - a life energetic and blazing with holiness." - 1 Peter 1:13



An interesting thing just happened to me.




You know how sometimes something not-so-stellar happens to you, instead of choosing to look at the positive, you (yet again) let yourself fall into a "all life is gloom" mood?


That seems to happen to me a lot.


Well, this morning I had a test, and it wasn't the best one I've taken, so I was feeling bummed.


(Side note: What I should have done was admit that it wasn't great, but not let it affect my entire day).


I was walking from said test back to the dorm, and as I entered the hallway, there she was.


One of those people when, you aren't in the best of moods, you REALLY don't feel like talking to, let alone, being nice to.


I realized there was no avoiding it, since she was headed the same way as me, and I braced myself for the bristling, icy-blast-like enthusiasm.


"OH MY GOODNESS, RACHEL! HOW ARE YOU?!"


In that split second of response-gathering time, I had a full conversation in my head.


"Well," I thought to myself, "...I'll just say hi and get away as soon as I can."


When a voice interrupted.


"Rachel, it isn't that difficult to choose to be nice. Don't focus so much on yourself."


That certainly got my attention.

And you know what I realized?
It really isn't that hard to just put on a smile and be nice.
It's not all about "I, I, I, I, I" all the time.
In the end, I had a great conversation with her, and learned a valuable lesson.




"God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts - be bold, loving, and sensible."


- 2 Timothy 1:7




No comments:

Post a Comment